An Apple a Day Does Keep the Doctor Away!
Apples are high in procyanidin content and contain a unique polyphenol, phloridzin. Again I was struck by the many scientific papers substantiating the health benefits of an apple a day:
• Lowers blood cholesterol
• Inhibits triglyceride absorption
• Has an antiobesity affect
• Enhances fat metabolism and insulin sensitivity
• Provides excellent defense against heart disease and diabetes
• Reduces allergic conditions by blocking the release of histamine, which controls allergic reactions
• Protects the colon against free-radical damage
• Works as a cancer preventive
• Helps to prevent bone loss in menopausal osteoporosis
One to three apples per day is good but If you go this route, look for apples that are organic, or at least free of pesticides, and eat them before meals or as a complex carbohydrate snack in the afternoon instead of a candy bar or high-fructose, high-caffeine soda.